Thursday, January 8, 2015

The Tess Munster Experience

The Tess and Elle selfie.

So if you haven't heard of her by now, Tess Munster is one of the most popular plus size models in the industry. As of now, she has over 600,000 likes on Facebook and has been named one of the top 10 Best Plus Size Models by Huffington Post. Not impressive enough? Well, there are more awards, Best Of's and mentions of her with a quick Google search. The woman is impressive.

I first heard of her a few years ago when a picture of her was shared by Torrid on Facebook. I recognized my shape in hers and loved her sass! I wanted to keep an eye on this beautiful lady because I felt like she was about to do something great. I was right. She soon established her #effyourbeautystandards movement which is "about embracing your body and being unapologetic". There is no size minimum and there is no max for loving your body and she gets that. So when I heard she would be coming to town with her Pinup for a Day Tour with Dynamite Dames Photography, I knew I had to get in on the action!












Photo By: Dynamite Dames
Pin up isn't really my go-to style and a few years ago, I would have never agreed to go meet a bunch of strange women and have my picture taken in front of them even in a style I was most comfortable in. I made a promise to myself earlier that year that I would start stepping out of my comfort zone and enjoying life so I bought the ticket. I am so happy I did. 

It was a tad chaotic, but it was such a beautiful chaos. There were so many women that were there to celebrate everyone's differences. Thin women, fat women, short women, tall women... all bodies were there and all bodies were kind and loving towards the other. In the end, I had dressed up and had my photos taken but I felt a change that day. As I put on just my long line bra and skirt to be photographed in, I felt such a new peace. I felt comradery. I felt the gap I'd always felt between the straight size girls and the plus size girls close. 

I loved it so much that I attended the makeup tips and tricks course Tess held the second time she came to town. The feel was very much the same. Smaller group and even more diversity. That is what I call the Tess Munster Experience. The woman is a brand, she is a model and she brings about a feeling with the women (even some men) she brings together. She is sassy in person (as expected), she is kind and even sprinkles in a bit of raunchy humor. Soooo my type of hero. If you ever have the chance to attend one of her events, please do! I'm willing to bet that you'll also feel a bit better when you leave than you did when you walked in. 

Photo By: Dynamite Dames






Photo By: Dynamite Dames

No comments:

Post a Comment