Sunday, March 6, 2016

Dressing For Your Shape


I'm going to start this off with the disclaimer that I don't truly subscribe to dressing to flatter all the time. If it makes you feel great, I say wear it but I do understand that attitude doesnt work in all settings and some people simply arent there yet. This is one of my most requested posts, so here it is: Dressing For Your Shape.

If you Google "body types" You'll find dozens upon dozens of names for the same 5 shapes. Lollipop? Really? What does that even mean!? Big head and a stick for a body? Thats unfortunate. I went with the basics to make this easier for everyone.

If you want to use me as a comparison, I am somewhere between an hourglass and a pear. My waist is noticeably smaller than both my bust and hips, but my hips are larger than my bust when you add in the big booty.

The pictures here for you are from the sites of each blogger, click them to be directed to their sites. I promise you wont be disappointed!

Hourglass:
What is it: An hourglass is the bust and waist that are essentially the same measurement with a waist that is noticeably smaller. I read one time that the "ideal" ratio is a waist 8" less than both the bust and hips. (remember we are measuring around these body parts to get the numbers.) I think that number is a bit silly so I just go with "noticeable" as the determining factor.

Who has it:Boardroom Blonde
How to flatter it: Pick items that cinch in the middle. Natural waistlines, Pencil skirts,


Pear:
What is it: A pear is when you carry your weight towards your hips/thighs/butt.

Who has it: Chastity of GarnerStyle

How to flatter it: Create balance on top. Tops with detailed necklines to draw your eyes up. Try this years trend of ruffled necklines or a bold pattern top with a basic bottom.







Apple:
What is it: Apple bodies carry weight in their middle or waist- think round tummy or midsection.

Who has it: Amanda Allison

How to flatter it: Fit and flare skirts, high waistlines and tops with flow towards the bottom.








Rectangle:
What is it: Minimal noticeable curves, even measurements in bust, waist and hips.

Who has it: Nicolette Mason

How to flatter it: Work the shift dresses! Pick items with patterns or cuts that give the illusion of curves such as peplum tops or skirts.




Inverted Triangle:
What it is: An inverted triangle carries most of her weight up top. Very busty, smaller waist and hips.

Who has it; MonifC

How to flatter it: fitted tops, v-necklines and voluminous bottoms.

No comments:

Post a Comment