Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Plus Prom Picks


Related: Where to Find Plus Size Formal Wear

Since I did a full on post last year for where to find prom wear (linked above), I decided to just do a few of my favorite picks this year. Oh my gatos. I'm so jealous of all the options now! When I went to prom there was NOTHING plus size to pick from. I capitalized that because I'm yelling in my head. I'm pretty sure I told you about my baked potato dress in my last years post. I tried to play it off as 20s/art deco inspired but I looked like someone re-used foil to wrap up a potato for baking. I did have one good dress my junior year- but I lost all credibility that last year.

Tips:
- check out Asos for cheaper options. They wont be quite as formal, but they will do the job for a significantly lower price.
- don't be afraid to look at bridesmaids dresses. You can definitely tell some dresses are meant for weddings but don't count one out just because it isnt marked for prom.
- please stay out of the formal shops inside malls if you want to keep your sanity. The mark ups are huge and the quality and selection is usually fairly low for plus girls. Not to mention the sales pressure is usually on full tilt there.
-start shopping now! The sooner you start looking, the less stress you have about getting it shipped in time. Online shipping is a breeze compared to the waiting time you have if you order at a boutique (you're looking at 6-10 weeks. Insane, right!?)



Prom advice:
Girls, girls, girls... prom is such a huge deal (or seems that way to a lot of you), but let me assure you... if you dont have a date, dont sweat it! I didnt have a date any of my three years (except the first one where my older gay friend pretended I was his date so I could get in.) I was a little bummed then, but I aint even mad about it now! 10 years of dating after prom and I'm so glad I learned early how to enjoy my own company. Dating is hard work.

We were from the country and so we made a day out of prom day. We would get dressed up, go into the city (literally an hour away) for dinner and whatever then come back for the dancing. I was never as impressed with the actual prom as I was with the fun group activities before.

The best time I ever had was when it was just a group of single ladies (and one or two rogue boys) and we got a limo and went into the city for an expensive steak dinner and fro-yo before prom. We had so much fun on our own that the driver told us we needed Jesus. Those are the kinds of memories you want out of prom, not the stress finding a date and keeping up with them all night brings. You dont have to spend that much money to have a good time of course, you just have to have the right mindset.

Pink chiffon | Green High Neck | Blue Lace | Red | Blue Peplum | Black off the Shoulder | Blue & Silver | Nude Mermaid

No comments:

Post a Comment