Friday, February 27, 2015

Tips On Going Casual & Bonus OOTD



I posted a picture on Instagram this past weekend of me crawling out of some leaves. I felt like I was in Narnia! We had gone out to my old family home in the country to have some crawfish soup with my parents and I tell ya- I'm out of practice when it comes to playing in the dirt and leaves.

I have had this post in the "pipeline" for a little while, and couldnt decide which outfit I wanted to use for it so I decided to do a little impromptu photo shoot Saturday to just give an example of how I do casual. Most of the items Im wearing are a bit older and have sold out, but if you want links to similar or details on the look- let me know in the comments!
___________________________________________________________________________
Fun fact: My boyfriend/photographer is over 14" taller than I am so if it seems like all my pictures are looking down on me, they really are! 
__________________________________________________________

Here are some of the tips and tricks I've learned so far to do casual but cute.

-If you're going with a t-shirt, make sure it has shape. I'm simply not built like a man, if I buy a 3x in a t-shirt that was made for a man, it is snug at my hips and way too big in the chest. I know to make sure to buy a shirt that is made with a woman's shape in mind. Fitted is great, but not mandatory. You can do a cool graphic or a slouchy top as long as you balance it with your bottoms.


Example: No T-shirts here (I struggle with the t-shirt game) but I did go with a casual tank that was more fitted in the chest and flowy around my hips and tummy. I was going to eat a lot, so I knew flowy was the way to go!

-People will look at you and make a decision within mere seconds of whether they like you or not. Give them something to focus on, something that adds interest. I haven't always been an accessories kind of girl, but Im growing into them. A statement hat, sunglasses, pop of color, interesting shoes or cool necklace can pull a look together without taking a lot of fuss. It can be the difference between looking thrown together and put together.

Example: Since I was just going to visit family, there wasn't much need for accessories so I chose a top with an interesting hemline.

- Balance your outfit. I'm not talking about a full on matching outfit printed in pool balls or palm leaves (you know the ones I'm talking about)- just a fair balance of shape and interest. For example, if you're in a slouchy top, something more fitted on bottom will balance it nicely. If you want to go full slouch, add structure somewhere (maybe a belt) to avoid the homeless look.

Example: I have on the flowy top with a more fitted pair of jeans, but to help balance how wide the shirt makes the hips I put on a cardigan in a darker color to draw eyes up.

-Add layers to add interest. Careful with this one to not add bulk, there is such a thing as too much of a good thing. Ive always been a layer girl but I know some arent keen because they also add warmth when you dont really want it. A simple tank under a t-shirt adds a little something interesting to an otherwise simple look.

Example: You can see that I have a floral tank on under the more sheer green tank above. This gives coverage for when you cant show your boobs off at dad's house but it gives that little extra detail to the outfit to show that some thought was put in.




No comments:

Post a Comment