Friday, May 22, 2015

Summertime Shrug-ness


Note: I'm going to leave the whole, "love your arms enough to show them to the world!" argument alone for now because lets face it, not everybody is ready for that nor does every occasion allow it. If you want to free your arms, I really don't mind seeing them but if you'd rather cover them I'm okay with that too.

I'll admit, the title is a terrible pun, but I've been listening to a lot of Lana del Ray lately. (P.S. have you seen the lama del ray meme? hilarious.) My cousin gets credit for this post because she sent me a text that said, "Summer time shrugs. Go." and that is really a pretty great idea so here we are.

As far as shrugs go, the traditional little mini sweater is on its way out. I've been trying to find better options for a while and havent have much luck but luckily retailers have heard the cry for sleeves and there are more options than ever for tops with sleeves that come already attached. I think my favorite on trend option is the kimono right now.

I am not an arm girl. I've gone sleeveless before and nobody stared, nobody pointed and laughed at my fat arms but I just like clothes. In fact, the male gives me a hard time because I sleep in a full outfit. Always pants and a t-shirt. I tell him its because if the building ever catches on fire, I'll have clothes to wear to go shopping the next day and he will be stuck outside in his underwear. Aside from that, I just enjoy the soft texture of clothes on my skin. Its a weird thing I have. All this to say, I've been mixing and matching to get sleeveless tops and their cover up counterparts to look as intentional as possible for years.

Dusters are great. They are long, usually mid-leg. They can be an easy focal point for your outfit. For Summer, you'll want to see if you can find a sheer, knit or lace option for some breathing room since they cover so much area.

Kimonos are a shorter option and are usually a flowy all around option. There is a reason it translates directly to "thing to wear"! Big sleeves, wide cut and drapey. Traditionally they are ankle length and more of a special occasion option in the Japanese culture. (See, you learn here too.)

Crops are fun- and the shortest option. Instead of the cropped cotton shrug we all know so well, that you cant figure out if its supposed to go over or beside your boobs, I go for an open front lace or full lace option for summer. You could do any texture you wanted, I just love lace.

Blazers are great for the office or if you're going out at night where it gets chilly. Some blazers are made from a thin enough fabric where I can get away with it here in the million degree heat, but I usually reserve them for indoor use. 

It gets super hot here in Texas during the Summer so I have to be careful in my choices if I don't want to flood everyone out with my puddles of sweat. I go for sheer, lace or open knit to give some air flow. Ive always been jealous of you bay dwellers (I'm looking at you San Francisco) that can put on a cute little sweater even on Summer nights. Now that I'm bitter, I'm going to just leave you with links.






No comments:

Post a Comment