Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Lilly Pulitzer for Plus? Pul-ease!



I wasn't going to do it, guys- I really wasn't but then everyone got on the bandwagon and now here I am. On the bandwagon. Like a chump. Ok, so I'm not really a chump and I've mentioned my distaste for the brand before so this isn't out of bandwagon nowhere land. Do I even make sense anymore? Probably not.

Here is what I'm trying to get at: Turns out, a long time straight size brand that focuses on resort wear which temporarily released a plus size line in a cheaped out version for Target doesn't really give a shit about plus size ladies. Actually, not only do they not care about us fatties, but they mock us behind our backs. Color me shocked. I'm appalled, outraged, nauseated! (I sure hope you're reading with the sarcasm I have intended.)


I'm going to be extra frank here and you're welcome to disagree with me on this, but I think most everything Lilly Pulitzer puts out is atrocious. Do I think some people look good in it? Sure. I actually think the bright colors look pretty great in contrast to deeper skin tones. Overall though, the brand is shapeless, unoriginal and the epitome of the worst possible outcome of the adjective "preppy". Diversity is limited and always has been in their promotions, so when I heard they were bringing out the plus line for Target (shame Target just keeps hitting such rough patches with the plus size demographic) I was like, "gee, that's exactly who I want to support..." Then I maybe gave a bit of an eye roll. It sold out in record time. Why? Probably because it was a traditionally straight size "luxury" item. We finally felt like someone cared enough to include us in this magical straight size yacht club.


Lilly Pulitzer is the handsome and tanned PUA (pick up artist) at the lounge in the pleasant but almost overbearing cologne and crisp pink tucked in button up. He smiles, he flirts and he gets extra close. He makes you feel like the only girl in the world for the whole night and then once he's taken you for the night and your wallet the next morning, you never hear from him again. Not only do you not hear from him again, he may have called you a "porker" under his breath on the way out.

What are we going to do about it? Well, the public shaming has started. I'm not even mad about that. Someone needed to say something to get that poor girl some perspective. Also, carbs = amazing... so there is that. I'm not a public shame to get the job done kind of girl. I want you to remember this when they try to come back and sell you something. They will. Their plus line made them money and I'm sure they will come back to that dinner table. There are so many more deserving plus size lines that want to treat us well. Give them your hundreds instead.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment