Friday, October 9, 2015

Fat Travel Anxiety: The List

So I'm getting ready to leave today for my trip! We have made it! I mentioned in my past post that I would put together this list along the way of all my fat anxiety items that I ran into while getting ready so here we are. Sorry if it is a little dark right before the weekend, but know that it isn't meant to be dark. I have a feeling all these issues will have happy endings in my post-trip Fat Anxiety Review.

I know some of these are irrational, but like I told you before... my anxiety isn't exactly rational.Does this list make me insecure? Maybe, but one of a human's basic needs is being accepted (thank you college psychology) and if anyone tells you they've never felt a little insecure they probably have a personality disorder. (I'm looking at you Kanye). Confidence and self acceptance are not always your first thoughts, they are the process of correcting those thoughts and overcoming them.

  1. I don't want to go scuba diving because I'm afraid of them not having a suit in my size. 
  2. I'm afraid the rooms will be small and I'll have to squeeze between the bed and the TV center every time.
  3. The balcony of my room is small- will I fit?
  4. Actually... ship doors are pretty small- I know I will fit, but how well?
  5. I'm so glad I dont have to fly- flying is so hard as a fat person. ***
  6. Id love to go to the spa, but will they have a robe that fits?
  7. ...will the masseuse mind my naked fatness?
  8.  Public pools. period.
  9. Am I going to break the pool furniture!? There is nothing scarier than that *creeeeaaakkkk* as you sit down.
  10. Can I find something casual to wear that also looks good? Jeans and a t-shirt is a challenge.
  11. If we do an excursion, will people look at me as if I cant make the hike? 
  12. If we do a tasting excursion, will people think, of course fatty did the food trip!
  13. How am I ever going to find 3 suits that I love that also cover what I want covered? 
Obviously I'm not the only one that has these thoughts before traveling- that picture up there is a post from the message boards where someone is inquiring about weight limits for the water slides. These are the things about being fat that people worry about but rarely talk about (notice it has almost 550 views). Even if nobody else notices, that creak from sitting down in a chair can be terrifying so I want to share my experience mentally beforehand and then the real life experience in action. Keep an eye out for a "result" post about a week after I get back!

***I flew for my NYC trip and I'll tell you about that!

No comments:

Post a Comment