Friday, August 28, 2015

Girl Power | A Woman Positive Post

 
I've stepped outside my usual fashion and/or body positive posts today and just settled on a woman positive post today. 

Today is Women's Equality Day- well, Wednesday was, but I'm writing it then for now- confused? Great. Now we are all together. On this day in 1920 (Wednesday) women were given the right to vote in the United States. My sister wrote about it and mentioned "Kim K's butt pics and twerking" setting us back. (I'm sorry Kate, I know I disagree with you on literally everything but it hurts to keep it in! Its not you, its me.)

I've said before that even though I don't agree with everything every other woman does these days, it doesn't mean they are failing our gender. I'm also guilty of twerking. I'm the OG of twerking, really. I was in trouble for twerking in 6th grade (early, early 2000s) at the school dance and shamed my entire family. So maybe I'm a little biased.


We all know the guy that makes the joke "women should be in the kitchen where they belong", if you don't- head over to the Tosh.0 blog and revel in all the misogynistic glory. It's my guilty pleasure. I always see those jokes and then laugh and laugh because it truly is funny that as a woman I do manage to make great sandwiches... paninis to be exact. Then I also manage a home, a relationship, my finances, a business and an incredible blog. I'm getting to the funny part. I do all of this pretty well, it isn't without kinks, but I make it all happen most of the time and that guy can barely spell out sandwich.

That's what I'm talking about though. What year in the past has a woman been able to do all of these things and been considered successful instead of being considered poor wife material? What year in the past has a woman been able to twerk on the Internet or take pictures of her butt and been literally one of the most famous in the world? Even if none of those things are what a woman wanted to do- if she always dreamed of being a mom or a wife- a woman can choose to do that now too.

That, my friends, is incredibly empowering. Knowing that a woman has more than just a right now, but that we make our own choices instead of being given rights... well, I call that a huge step forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment