Friday, August 21, 2015

Wear What You Love


 I can hear you already, "Oh Elle, this again!?" Yeah. This again. You know why? Because there are always people reminding me that they simply don't get it yet. (Watch out, I'm sassy and fired up!)  So we went to brunch in uptown a while ago and a woman (probably a size 16/18) walked in in jeans, a cute open back top and heels. In my head I was like, daaannng girl! I love it! then the thinner girl next to me made a negative comment. I cant remember exactly what it was now, but something about her back fat (that I never noticed) making her uncomfortable. It was my birthday and I was about 3 shots and 2 glasses of sangria in by this point (it was my birthday, okay!?) and I felt a little brave so I was like, "...but that's your problem, not hers" and after being a little taken aback, she agreed. Thankfully she didn't match my sass because I cant be getting into fist fights in Nick and Sam's... I really like their sangria.


I get messages all the time about how someone wants to have my confidence or how they like something on me, but they just couldn't pull it off. The only difference between me "pulling it off" and you doing it is the fact that I put it on my body. I get it, I'm not ready for shorts... I don't think they look bad on anyone else, but I'm just not there yet personally. I definitely understand the struggle but I wont sit by and feed into the negative. If you like it, wear it. I've said it one hundred times before and I'll say it one hundred more if it hits home for just one person each time. There will always be someone that doesn't like something you're doing. As long as you aren't physically harming someone with the your attire then do whatever it is that you want. I was trying to think of a way you could harm someone with your attire and all I could come up with was practicing your lasso with the long fringe on your super on trend maxi-shirt. Its weird, but that's where I went. Welcome to life with Elle.

I've always pushed my limits in life. I've done literally everything in the hardest way possible- it doesn't make it an easy life, but it makes it more rewarding for me. As soon as I started growing into my own fashion, I realized that trend didn't change. I do things fat girls aren't supposed to do. Sheer, bra only, crops, leggings as pants etc. Sometimes I can see people having a brain malfunction trying to grasp what they are seeing. They get that little twitch in their eye and tilt their head to the side a little. I'm okay with that- it means I'm challenging their norms, I'm making them think, process and learn. Most of the time though, It is met with praise- and not the fake praise said through a gritted smile.

I promise that if you put on that thing you bought on a brave day and has been sitting in the closet ever since or if you buy that thing you've been wondering about- the power that you feel of overcoming a fear when you put it on will show through. When you feel sexy or smart or powerful because of what you put on in the morning, people will notice. They may not notice the actual item, but they will notice how you present yourself. Remember that your fashion choices are what you're presenting to the world. If they say, "I love me" then people will follow suit.

No comments:

Post a Comment