Monday, August 10, 2015

Ipsy Final Review

 Lets talk about Ipsy. Actually, lets talk about why I cancelled my subscription to Ipsy. I'd had a subscription about a year- a few more bags than what's pictured above- and I just started to get overloaded with sample products. If you dont know how it works, essentially you sign up, take a quiz with what your likes are and they withdraw $10 every month from your card on file and then send you a bag with 5 items. Thats it.

I love makeup, I love trying new things and I can justify $10 a month on something fun for me. (I can "justify" a lot more than that, so it made this choice easy.) Lets talk about what they got right first.



The bags are adorable. Granted, I have about 12 of them sitting in a drawer now that never get used and then another couple that I use for carrying things when I travel. It is much more visually appealing than getting a box in the mail with Easter egg grass inside.

The price is right. A lot of people can justify spending $10 a month on something fun. It helped keep me out of Ulta every weekend because the urge to buy something new was being satisfied.

The quiz/reviewing really did help match things to you that you'd actually like. This being said, you need to be a person that will actually use a variety of products. If youre a lips and mascara only girl or youre very picky with what you will use, this probably isnt for you. If I got 3 of 5 items I liked or would use, I was happy.

Customer Service is pretty good. If you ever got a broken or melted item, they will send you another. If your card has problems (I didnt update mine once when I got a new one) they will email you to remind you to fix it and then run it again another day so  you dont miss your bag that month. It was all just an email away.
My August 2015 Bag

So if I liked all those things, why I did I leave??

The main reason? The reviewing process and social media intrusion. If you want to see your glam bag "early" aka when you used to just get to view it instead of a week later- you have to share on Facebook. Not only do you have to share on Facebook, it makes you type in something nice before you do. "Want to review your items to get better matches?" "Here are 19 questions you have to scroll through with 6 different almost unrelated answers ... oh and do you want to share on Facebook?" "No waitlist! Do you want to share on Facebook for points!?" "Share on Facebook. Share on Facebook. SHARE ON FACEBOOK!"

I was over it. Seems like others were too since there is no more waitlist.

On top of that, I wasnt using everything I got and I have a box at home now full of things I wont use. I did use the face creams and things I dont usually branch out on too much and I loved the brushes- but cheap eyeshadows, bronzers and eyeliners just werent getting used. I can get the same type of samples for free when I order online at Ulta. This alone I probably could have gone a few months more without really finding a huge issue- but coupled with that horrendous clingy ex type marketing, I was out of there.


Have you done it? Do you still love it? Tell me about it in the comments.





No comments:

Post a Comment