Monday, April 13, 2015

Where to find: Plus Size Active Wear

Plus Size Activewear


At some point in recent history, the plus size retailers figured out that we aren't all fat slobs that never worked out and added some plus size active wear into their permanent lines. That feels like a harsh sentence... too harsh? Anyway, so some of us like to work out or go to the gym, or live in something other than potato sacks. Man! The sarcasm is just too real today! Bring it in, Elle... reel it in!

I really am very happy that this has been a new trend for the plus size retailers. It shows that not only are they listening to their customer base, they are starting to shed all of the negative stereotypes of fat = lazy.

UPDATE (4/14/15) GarnerStyle posted a great post on activewear a day after I posted mine- great minds!? I urge you to check hers out to see some great items on a real body. 


Note: I have not tried all of these stores, I am just doing a fairly comprehensive list so that you can save time searching. Let me know in the comments if you've tried them and how they worked!


Sports Authority:
Sizes: 0- 3x/24
Price Range: $$
Selection: Small but growing
Reviews: Options available, but none given

It looks like SA is just now getting their plus line together, so it is small and not very varied. I only saw 3 options available in a 3x and 7 items in a 2x.


Lands End:
Sizes: Up to 3x/24-26
Price Range: $$
Selection: Large
Reviews: Positive (4 stars)

For some cute plus size activewear that isnt emblazoned with brand trademarks, this is a great option. There are lots of neutrals with little pops of color.



Torrid:
Sizes: Up to 5x/30-32
Price Range: $$
Selection: Medium
Reviews: Hit or Miss (2-4 stars)

Pretty in line for Torrid overall. Trendier, but hit or miss in the reviews. They have bra options, but those had reviews that werent as great as their legging options. Their active wear is half active wear and half lounge wear.



Old Navy:
Sizes: Up to 4x/28-30
Price Range: $
Selection: Large
Reviews: Positive

I always recommend buying ON on sale because the quality is usually lacking, but I am no stranger to Old Navy's lounge wear- it is usually super comfy. It is so comfy that I'm usually okay with replacing it fairly often. Hopefully their activewear holds up to at least the same reputation.


Lane Bryant:
Sizes: Up to 46DD (bras) or 26/28 (bottoms)
Price Range: $$-$$$
Selection: Medium
Reviews: Positive

GarnerStyle, CeCe aka Plus Size Princess as well as Jessica Kane I believe, both have done a write up on the new LB activewear line. A lot of their pieces are styled with the LB logo as a focal point, which is not my favorite look. Though, there are plenty of pieces that are more neutrally styled. I'm counting on the usual LB great quality and support with this line.

JCPenney:
Sizes: Up to 5x or 32/34
Price Range: $$-$$$
Selection: Medium (at 5x)- Large (at 3x)
Reviews: Positive

Department stores arent known for their excellent style for plus size ladies, but I feel like activewear is pretty easy to get right across the board. JCPenney carries more plus size activewear than I first thought, but I'd also suggest waiting for a sale since Penney's is known for having them quite often.

Target:
Sizes: Up to 4x or 26/28
Price Range: $
Selection: Medium
Reviews: Positive

Not part of their new Ava & Viv line, the activewear for Target seems to be pretty well stocked online. I have not seen it in my local store, but for the price I'd definitely take the risk of buying without trying.


Woman Within:
Sizes: Up to 6x or 42/44
Price Range: $
Selection: Large
Reviews: Positive

Not what I would consider a trendy site overall, but I have made a purchase or two and was pleased in the past. If you need a little more than what usual plus size retailers give you in store, this is your place! Not to mention- you can get a super steal from here.


Full Beauty (Formerly OneStopPlus):
Sizes: Up to 56G in bras or 5X 38/40
Price Range: $-$$
Selection: Large
Reviews: Positive

You'll see some overlap here because this site pulls from a few others, so I always check it even though you usually have to search a bit for something on the trendier side. The size range here is also fantastic, if you have a tough time finding a size you need- this is a great place to start!

Nordstrom:
Sizes: Up to 3x or 22/24
Price Range: $$-$$$
Selection: Large
Reviews: Positive

After seeing what Nordstrom has to offer, I'm left wondering why LB and Torrid didnt step their game way up when they started their own lines. Nordy's has by far the most attractive line and its calling my name.



Khols:
Sizes: Up to 4x or 28/30
Price Range: $-$$
Selection: Extra Large
Reviews: Positive

I usually dont include stores like Khols in my lists, but when I saw how extensive their selection was, I had to let you in on it! Not only do they have a great selection, but they have up to a size 30- we win in all columns here. I may have to go write a thank you note now.

Just My Size:
Sizes: Up to 46G (bras) or 38/40
Price Range: $-$$
Selection: Extra Large
Reviews: Positive

Larger chested ladies, if youre looking for a sports bra- here is your place! Again, not the trendiest of sites, but as I've mentioned a few times before in this post- activewear isnt exactly fashion forward, even Lululemon isnt doing much exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment