Monday, April 27, 2015

My (maybe not so) Torrid Love Affair


I feel like a traitor to all plus size women everywhere when I say this, but... I'm having a Torrid crisis. I'm struggling with being "over" Torrid.  Not like in the ex-boyfriend that cheated on you and took your dog when he left over it, but over it like an ex that you slowly drifted away from and realized that you were better off as casual friends.
I have been a Torrid Insider (previously Diva Status) since 2008. I know I shopped there at least a year or two before I joined and the place was founded in 2001- so I've been there since allllmost the beginning. I've seen the brand grow and change and aesthetically, it is more pleasing but the last few years have just been a bore style wise and downright depressing in terms of quality.

I've been fighting with this break up for a while now. I almost went into therapy because I didn't know who I was anymore! I talked with friends to see if they were having the same issues I was and double checked that I wasnt just "growing out" of their trendier lines. I even wrote them a letter and no response. I think they knew the relationship was over and it was time to bring in the mediators to separate out the dishware.


I'm not going to say that I have stopped shopping there, because I do still visit about once a month and make a purchase (as you have seen previously), but that is way down from what used to be once a week. (It was literally hundreds a month there- which is a total problem) Some of my favorite jeans are the Torrid Stiletto Skinnys and I really enjoy being able to walk into a store and shop and try on. They have such good qualities! I want to still love them!

Like I said, I am not at the point where I'm ready to burn Torrid's house down after spray painting profanities on the garage... I'm just disappointed in our lack of growth as a couple. I feel like there are so many more stores out there offering what Torrid just cant or refuses to and I'm straying more and more from my once loyal to the end ways.

Here is where the breakdown is: they are staying stagnant in a world that is quickly changing. 

Issue One: Stagnant style. When I visit the Torrid site/store I am hard pressed to find something that I don't already have in a very similar style. That style recycle is a bit of a beating. I simply don't need a long sleeve sheer tunic in magenta and a long sleeve sheer tunic in magenta.. oh, but with lace on the sleeves.They offer the same styles each season with minor changes and that just wont do anymore.See that white lace top? Adorable, right? So adorable that Ive got it in teal... and black... but in different fabrics that I bought starting two or so years ago.

Issue Two: Quality. This is probably my biggest complaint. I remember a time when I could abuse my Torrid clothes and they would still be hanging on years later. It seems that lately after one wear I find the seams separating or I'm at a wash max of about 3 before I start finding major issues that need repair. One pair of my leggings literally came unsewn at the crotch (is there a nicer word for that? Inseam? Help either way... my lady bits are showing) when I first put them on. Another cardigan lost all its buttons after a month.

Issue Two & 1/2: Quality vs Price Ratio. I didn't want to give this issue a full three because I already addressed half of it. I mind neither a higher priced garment nor a cheap one, but I do expect the quality to correspond with the price point. Torrid is by no means luxury, but they certainly don't price their items to reflect the level of quality I described above. They have started having sales like crazy and that is literally the only time I will buy because it is the only time their prices even closely reflect the quality. If you're wanting a comparison, 5 years ago, I would have said quality was right up there with Lane Bryant. Today I'm okay with comparing it to Wet Seal or Forever 21. Gahhhh. It hurts to say!

Issue Three: Return Policy. A few years ago they allowed you the usual return policy- tags 30 days and like new and you were golden. That is still the case for the regular priced items, but now clearance is not able to be returned at all. Because of issues 2,  and 2.5 above, I just wont buy at regular price there anymore and now I wont purchase clearance because if something happens, I have no option but to keep the defective garment.

Any other issues Ive ever had with Torrid have been minor and fairly minimal considering how often I have shopped there in the past. They even still have some mega hits fashion wise! My plea is that they see the issues now before they fall too far behind in this fast growing plus size fashion world. Their only saving grace right now other than their one or two big hit items is that they are one of the very few retailers that have brick and mortar stores that you can walk into and shop. Once other retailers start setting up shop, I'm afraid Torrid will be left out in the cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment