Thursday, April 30, 2015

Hair Gloss | Before & After



As I'm getting older I am trying to take better care of my skin and hair. I'd like to say that I never come home drunk at 3 am and fall asleep with all my makeup on after eating about 6 pounds of nachos from Taco Bueno, but I wont lie to you. That still happens so I take extra care all the other times to make sure I'm doing whats best as if it will make up for the one or two nights of destruction.

All that to say, 'member how I got my hair done recently at Dear Clark? I scheduled my follow up appointment right then to make sure I stayed true to my new Take Better Care routine. After letting my hair grow a bit, I decided I wasn't ready for another cut yet (it has only been 7 weeks) so I called and rescheduled for a gloss. What is a gloss? Hell if I know, I read about it somewhere (I think it was Tess Munster's hair care routine) and thought holy -ish that sounds great!! So I scheduled it. This is pretty much how my entire life is lived.

Scroll down for the tl;dr.




Well, I did some "research" on the matter and it looks like a gloss actually might have some healing benefits as well as just the calming and shiny effect I was looking for. Instead of opening your hair strands up like a traditional color, it shrinks them down and locks in some deep conditioning. Bonus yes! It is supposed to last for 6-8 weeks.

Ok and yes, I am at a bar in the before picture. We stopped in between brunch and the hair appointment since we were in the neighborhood. Can we talk about the natural light in that place?! The After picture is out on the balcony as we were starting to get ready for dinner.

The important stuff starts here:   
The total cost before tip was $35 for the gloss. It didnt come with a blow out, but Chrystal squeezed a basic one in for me (because she is amazing). Even with the blow out, I was done in about 30 min. I sat down in the wash chair, she rinsed my hair then put in the gloss- which looked like maybe a thicker shampoo or conditioner. I sat for 5 minutes or so and then she washed it out. So easy. I expected more of a process.

Yes that is the natural color of my hair. I don't believe the gloss she used had a tint, I think it is just the lack of direct sunlight in the second picture that makes my hair look darker. Its hard to tell from the picture, but there is more of a shine to my hair than before. Id say the biggest difference is in how it feels and how it lays. It is much softer than before and it just tends to lay better after I fix it in the mornings. I even kept the after salon smell in my hair for a few days after, which was nice.

tl;dr: Was it a huge change? No. Was it worth the $35 (plus tip)? Ehhhh. I might try a drugstore brand next to really see. I enjoy going and pampering myself, so I'll never complain about a trip to the salon, but I may decide to do these at home from now on.

I did schedule my next appointment for June and because Id had a few mimosas at breakfast, I got brave and set the appointment for a color. I was like, lets go blonde!!! Exactly like that, because I was out of control, but now that I've had time to think, I'm not so sure! What are your thoughts? Should I go blonde, or just start small with some lighter highlights?

No comments:

Post a Comment