Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Acceptance for Every Body

I strive to make this blog about more than just plus size fashion. When I was deciding what direction I wanted to take when building my platform from which to speak to the world, I knew I loved fashion but there was more to fashion than just posting collages of jumpsuits and OOTDs (outfit of the days). Fashion is not only about how you look, it is about how you feel. It is about presenting to the world who you feel you are. I knew I wanted to address those facets as well.

I have readers and friends that come here as men, that come here as women, that come as men that enjoy wearing women's clothing and the opposite, that come as transgender and hopefully come here for a multitude of other reasons that I cannot even begin to share. I want this to be a safe and welcome place for everyone that identifies with what I'm providing which is why I'm sharing with you today's post.

If you havent seen by now Caitlyn Jenner's Vanity Fair spread, I dont know where you've been, but I know that I want to be able to vacation there every year! She looks amazing. She looks polished, happy and like everything I could ever want out of my 60s. I've seen amazing support for her, but I've seen the dark side as well which is what brings me here.

photo credit to aol.com



As a fat girl that preaches body acceptance, Ive tried to make it very clear that we aren't just accepting fat bodies. We are accepting thin bodies. We are accepting disabled bodies. We are accepting trans bodies, chiseled bodies, old bodies, hairy bodies, lumpy and bumpy bodies and every other kind of body in between because there is simply no wrong way to exist. Existing in any form comes with trial and sacrifice, we are accepting that too.

Not understanding or not being able to relate to someone's body or the challenges their body brings is no excuse to devalue them. Instead of offering advice as to what you would do or what you find appropriate, stop, listen and learn. Seek out answers if your first reaction is anger or disgust. Those are secondary emotions, which means that there were primary emotions you probably quickly and subconsciously covered to avoid a challenge to your own views. Those underlying emotions are what you need to question about yourself.

 Body acceptance really transcends being okay with a physical form. It reaches further into accepting someone for who they are as a being. You don't have to want to exist as they do to be able to enjoy them. You don't have to tear them down in order to disagree. You do have to be willing to step outside of what you know in an attempt to learn. You may never be able to relate or truly understand, but I promise that someone can tell when you're genuine and in a world where hate is so easy to spread, that truly makes a difference.


No comments:

Post a Comment