Friday, June 19, 2015

The Low Down On: Scuba


You've seen it everywhere lately and if you were like me you were like "wtf is a scuba top/skirt/pant?!" Actually, I ordered a shirt months ago not knowing I was getting a scuba shirt and was thoroughly confused when I touched it. Yet... here I am wearing it.

The short of it is, its fabric that feels like scuba gear. Yeah... duh. Well, little ole Elle didnt know what to expect so I thought I'd share some of my Pros and Cons on the matter so you know what youre getting yourself into, because it is weird and uncharted territory unless youre a diver.

That top up there is my scuba shirt. Looks like a normal shirt, but friend... it is not. This is what I said about it when I first bought it (from my Plus Size Fashion Haul post)

This top is just amazing. Marble. Pattern. Whaaaaat? At one point someone probably looked at a counter top or a floor and said, "Hey Pam, you know what? A shirt would look great in this." And they were actually right. I do look great as a counter or floor, and even though it sounds like I'm making fun of it, it is the exact reason I love it. Its unexpected and understated but strong. Oh and if youre worried about the girls, there is plentttty of room. It fits a bit boxy and its made out of a poly/spandex blend that almost feels like a wetsuit  so there isnt a whole lot of flattering drape so be prepared to size up if you need extra room in the middle.

I rarely reach for this top even though I love the pattern. The fit is just uncomfortable. It also has a tendency to ride up and I'm constantly tugging at the bottom. Sizing may be my issue here, but this is already on my larger end of sizing (24) so Perhaps if I sized up I would get a better fit. Its a huggy material, ... almost shrink wrap for your fat- huggy, so sizing up to get that loose fit is probably best.

Pros:

  • stretchy
  • very wrinkle resistant
  • longer lasting fabric
  • Stain resistant 
Cons: 
  • Tight on lumps 
  • Fabric shifts a lot with movement (i.e. lifting arms, bending over etc.) 

 Now... they do have scuba skirts and dresses! I havent tried one yet, but I'm willing to bet that wearing it on your bottom half in a flattering cut solves all the cons. Its such a thick fabric that a fit and flare skirt would look amazing and stay draped in the intended way. You can find this skirt here.

The trend has gained quite a bit of traction since I picked up my first piece in February. I dont know if it will stick around too long, but I certainly love how it gives you the drape when done right. It will be mostly trial and error to find the right cut for your body. Find a cut that gives you freedom in the places you need it most or size up all over and have it altered to fit for the best look possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment