Friday, July 17, 2015

#curvy


I'm sure you knew this post was coming so lets get right into it. People are distraught over Instagram banning the #curvy as a search option. They blamed it on "too many people are using this for dirty pics so we are shuttin' it down!" of course I'm paraphrasing. Thank god they left eggplant friday alone, amirite!? /sarcasm ...and dont search that if youre at work- its extra NSFW.

People are everywhere on this thing! I may or may not have gotten into a debate (if you can call it that) on a Buzzfeed story- then accused of not being curvy or plus sized? It took a wrong turn somewhere. Here is what I wrote:



Now you know how I feel about that part- but what I really wanted to address in this post is that last comment. There were several others like it, some from women bashing other women for picking that particular adjective. Who. Cares?! I dont think it is anyones business what you consider or label yourself.

Story time:


19 year old Elle worked at a Crisis Center, I'd volunteered there since I was 11 years old and took my volunteering very seriously. One day as the office was in its final spiral of self destruction, someone gave me the chance to speak at a committee meeting. There had been whispers of the committee having the gall to consider themselves a board and being the unpolished 19 year old I was said, "I don't care what you call yourselves as long as the needs of the clients are met."

I still stand by that statement. It wasn't the best move professionally, but if there was ever a statement to go out on, that was it! I had also been told by a woman (also in her spiral of self destruction) that my dead mother "would have been disappointed in me" for not taking her side. Tact obviously wasn't a strong suit in that organization.

Moral: Who of value cares at all what you call yourself as long as its working? Nobody.  The only people that are stuck on labels are the ones that give more value to the label than to themselves. One day when you are your happiest, strongest and most loving self (or when youre making more money than the CEO equivalent of your former employer *cough cough*) looking back at where you were when you made the decision to stand for what you believed in, you'll see that nothing anybody else said mattered.

So fat girls of the world, go forth and be curvy if youd like! Call yourself skinny if it so suits you just to work up the trolls. Thats your adjective, #werkit!


No comments:

Post a Comment