Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Where to find: Plus Size Halloween Costumes

I know it is early for this.. but I love to get a head start on Halloween. Most stores wont even have their costumes out yet, but I'm already ready! As we get closer, if I find more options I will update this post. We take Halloween seriously in the Monus house. Prissy was a shark last year, I was Wednesday Addams and the boo thang was Flatline (a super villain). I literally spent hours on his face paint so I'm glad Wednesday was such an easy pick for me, not to mention she is my spirit animal and soul sister- sorry Melissa McCarthy. Also, before you take on doing your significant other's face paint, make sure your relationship is strong. Love is the only thing that kept me from stabbing him repeatedly with the paint brush. (Ok, so thats a little (read: lot) harsh- but it was still pretty trying.)

It is such a fight every year trying to find a costume as a plus size girl. Even the plus size costumes aren't very plus sized at all. Don't even get me started on our usual plus size stores (ahem, Torrid) with great plus size fitting options carrying a 3rd party brand that doesn't fit like the store's usual sizing. *groans*.

So what does work?



My very favorite is Hips & Curves. (all three in header picture) It is my second fav lingerie brand overall and number one when it comes to high quality costumes.It is not cheap, but it is amazing. Make your choice.

Torrid carries some of their own, but you have to get their early because they are usually out pretty quickly. Watch their sizing too- it tends to be very different in their costumes.

WalMart actually carries a few options online for the plus size girls. Last year there was the whole "Fat Girl Costumes" debacle.  These are cheaper, but pretty standard. Basically the antithesis of Hips and Curves.

Target- essentially the same as Walmart, just a smaller selection.



Don't be afraid to make your own! If you cant sew (like me) then you may have to just do some searching around to find the different pieces. For Wednesday, I couldn't find the perfect dress so I ended up buying a cute black dress from Jessica London (that I still wear! bonus!!) and adding my own collar that I bought off Amazon. Add basic tights and black shoes and I was done!

 This is the only picture I can find of the 2014 evening and it pretty accurately shows what its like every year. My friend is posing, I cant keep my mouth shut, her husband is goofy (the red demon aka Demon Man) and my male is pretty lost in the whole situation (the black super villain aka Flatline)

2013 She was a "leopard" and I was a "bird". Feathers from Hips & Curves
Below are a few costume shops I found online that have never tried. I cant speak to their quality or reliability but I wanted you to have the options:
Candy Apple

Candy Apple Costumes (up to size 26)
Lady Strange (up to 12x)
Sanctuarie Designs (Up to 9x)
Halloween Costumes (yeah, thats actually the name)
Big Gals Lingerie (Up to 12x!!)
Plus Size Costume Shop (custom made)
Fantasia Wear (Up to 5x)

After doing all this research, I happened upon Affatsionistas list and its extremely similar but hers is more detailed. Check hers out here.

No comments:

Post a Comment