Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Flawless?


So I was writing up one of my last talks (I think it was Self Love) and I made a little side comment of "Sorry, Beyonce, not even you are flawless. Then I had a moment of silence for how profound I was feeling. Like when a stoner has a revelation that rocks their world... maybe when they realize how their hands work or something, I dont know but you know what I'm talking about. 

Im not going to lie- that song (Flawless, in case Ive lost you here) is my jam! Especially with the Nicki Manaj remix... wwheeeewww booooyyyy!! I pass some cops on the way to work every morning and I'm always rapping it to get hyped for work, Im kinda surprised they havent pulled me over just to check on me yet. I digress...

What I'm going to say here isn't new, its isn't revolutionary and you've probably heard it a million times but it never hurts to be reminded that
what we see isn't real. The women we see every day as idols are definitely beautiful women, but usually by the time we see them lots of time and money and sometimes an entire team of people have helped enhance every one of their already great features.

So what does Beyonce have that I don't? Well, other than millions of dollars, a taller thinner body and a millionaire rapper husband (though my male likes to pretend hes a rapper sometimes)... not much. We both "wake up like this". Sometimes that means fresh faced with imperfections showing, sometimes that means makeup from last night smudged under our eyes with drool dried on our mouths and matted hair.

The song can be taken two ways, no matter how you wake up, you're flawless (I love this version best) or that she woke up looking like she does in the music video- heavily perfected. I feel like no matter the real intention, the second option is what most people get out of it. I'm not hating on Bey, I think she is incredibly talented and she's clearly at the top of her game.. which is what makes her such a great example. This really applies to anyone in your life that you have a tendency to look favorably upon.

What I want you to get from this is that you should never compare your base line to someone's top of the line. Don't compare your 6 am drunk face to her 8 pm Oscar's face. Id love to say "don't compare yourself at all." but I know that's not realistic. We compare- that's just what we have been conditioned to do, so do it kindly. Compare what you have in common in a positive way. Find similarities (I promise they are there) and see that if you had the money and the opportunity that you'd be just as perfected.

No comments:

Post a Comment