Tuesday, March 31, 2015

#keeptheplus



Sure, sure, I know I wrote up a whole piece on how plus size is a new gimmick word and how we shouldn't let ourselves be taken advantage by it, but is it so bad that we need to ban it? Plus size model Stefania Ferrario is trying to ban the term plus size and I'm over here still trying to decide if I want the tenders or the breast meal from Chicken Express think that's such a good idea.

On one hand, I'm on team "lets do this, everyone is human and beautiful, no need for labels!" Then I raise my feminist flag and dance naked on a beach somewhere. On the other hand, how many times have I typed in the words "fat girl ____" or "plus sized _____" into Google to see what would work for my specific body type. Answer: probably six million times (I do a lot of Googling.)
Tess Munster had her own (probably related) status on Facebook, explaining how the plus size community loved her when nobody else did, how she is proud to be plus sized and that it is just a descriptive phrase. (Spoiler:
I agree.)

Wiz Khalifa even posted a #droptheplus status featuring Stefania and you guys know how much I looovvee my rappers. I had to take a look at the comments because I also love punishing myself. I found a lot of supportive and loving comments, but I also saw a lot of "yeah but shes not that plus sized." or "there is plus size and then there is fat." The woman is absolutely stunning and in all honesty, I really wouldn't consider her "plus size"... but by the insane standards of the fashion world she is. She should be fighting to change how skewed the view of that label is in her industry- not the actual label. 

I find it incredibly interesting that plus size women are the only people judged in degrees of fatness. I also find it interesting that there is such a huge difference in what fashion or modeling considers plus and what the rest of the reasonable world considers plus. Neither of those are directly related to this, but both ended up here anyway. Writing organization... who needs it!?

The plus size demographic as a whole tends to like seeing things that represent them and rightfully so. We are talking models, we are talking clothes, we are talking lifestyle. In an article it was mentioned that no other field is labeled as plus size. Not plus size chefs, no plus size authors etc etc.. but is it really applicable there? Nobody buys what those people are selling based on body size. We do, however, buy clothes (what models usually model) based on body size and shape. If we #droptheplus, how do we find what we want quickly? I mean, it is essentially just a label. If you walked into my office right now you'd see about six thousand labels. They are for a practical use, no one greater than the other. They all do the same job.


Here is my proposal: #keeptheplus and drop the negative. I am plus sized. I am fat. Those are descriptors, or labels. They are not who I am as a person. There is nothing wrong with having a plus by my name. Elle Monus, Plus Blogger. Elle Monus, Fat Girl (I may add that to my resume) In fact, any other time you add a plus to anything else, its a great thing. A+ anyone? 

We have to stop giving power to these words. If we drop them, we acknowledge that they are derogatory or shameful. We put them in a place where if someone pulls them out, they are more hurtful. Do the opposite! Use them more. Own them and love them just as you love yourself. Being plus size is not a condemnation. There is no shame. It is simply a label telling you where to find things that are uniquely you.

No comments:

Post a Comment