Monday, March 2, 2015

Are Plus Models and Bloggers Glorifying Obesity?


Fat Is The New Thin! 10 Ways To Ditch that Skinny Waistline Just In Time For Summer! Diet Food Tastes Awful- Fat Feels Better! 


How many times have you seen those headlines in today's news? Never? Yeah, me either. If you're at all into this body positive movement or if you even happen to look at any picture posted by a high profile plus size advocate (i.e. Tess Munster, Garner Style) You have probably seen someone say something about "glorifying obesity". Its a huge talking point for the opposing viewpoint. Fat = unhealthy lifestyle. Happiness and self acceptance while fat = promoting obesity, unhealthy lives and ultimately death. 

Listen, I've been fat for a long time- like since I came out of the womb. Never once have I felt like fat was the "glorious" lifestyle. I don't think that someone posting a picture of themselves being happy while fat would change my mind on the subject either. What it does do for me is chip away at all the damage that has been done previously instigated only by my fatness. It shows me that I can be happy if I so choose. 

As a general rule, the plus bloggers and models aren't body shaming anyone for being thin. They also do not promote getting fat. They promote self love, a topic I've hit on before. They promote being happy with who you are as a person no matter what your size. 

So what is it that people are saying when they say I'm glorifying obesity? They are saying I should wait to be happy until I'm a socially acceptable weight. They are saying I shouldn't live a grand life doing what I want as a career path or as a hobby until I'm deemed healthy (should I work on getting a public release from my Dr on that for you?) They are saying I should just hide out from society until the children of the world wont see me and think that my happiness is due directly to my fatness, become fat to be cool and then die of diabeetus, heart failure or running out of breath when walking through Walmart. When you break down what they are saying, it seems extreme doesn't it? That a picture of a beautiful and happy fat person doing nothing other than living ultimately leads to death of others. 


People will always say what they feel the need to say and as Ive said before, most of the time it isnt any of their business. Will I change everyone's thoughts with this blog post? No, but I'm satisfied with breaking down what is being said to what it really means. The absurdity of the phrase itself is enough to destroy its credibility but sometimes when you attach fancy words to something it gets convoluted. 

...Now if you'll excuse me, I have some children to go give the diabeetus. (*eye roll*)



No comments:

Post a Comment