Friday, September 4, 2015

Faux-Leather Guide


Okay Faux pas may be a bit extreme, but I needed an F word. The point is, if you want to go for an edgy but classy look you really have to pick your fabrics. Edgy can go from classy to, I hate to say it but- trashy- real fast.

I know I preach "wear what you love" so if you disagree with what I say here, feel free to disregard. I'm here for the positivity and to also gently guide others that want to learn what looks best on days they dont really want to break all the rules. When I was 18, I could get away with ratty jeans, a rock t-shirt black and purple hair under a newsboy cap- now that I'm older and have a job where I meet with clients most of the day that ensemble doesn't work. I'm not saying its, right or fair- that's just how life works. People will look at you and make an assessment and you must portray yourself for whom you want to be seen. For me, on my own time (aka not business attire) a "classy but edgy" style works. I want the girl in line at Starbucks to know that I'm friendly enough to hold her place in line but wont put up with her bringing all her friends to cut in front of me.

One of my favorite textures to use to achieve the look is leather. I love the way it looks and smells but I also love the dumb little cow they are going to slaughter for it. Seriously, if you've been around cows at all- you know they are just not very bright animals. Lovely and sweet... but dumb and definitely stinky. Anyway... so because I dont want to kill any cows, I opt for the faux-leather or the leather-look. Lets break it down:

Bad: Super sheen, super thin and plastic-y. DON'T DO IT! The only time I can tolerate this is in small quantities. Maybe a legging with a small strip down the side or a little fake pocket on a tee. Torrid is a mega offender here. I've seen Asos and a few others commit the crime once or twice too. If it wrinkles like a trash bag, let it go. The fact is that getting a good quality leather look is more expensive so in the fast fashion market companies are going with the cheaper materials. You can tell. It looks cheap. (Can you tell this is my biggest fashion pet peeve?) When the material is too shiny, the light will reflect off the highest points- so if you have any "flaws" or dimples they will be on full display.

Better (The best value): One step above the super sheen is a shiny coated material. The coating instead of the plastic look gives you a little more quality look. Real leather does have a tiny bit of a glow to it- so you get to keep that without going to far here. If you cant afford to splurge on the best, then save just a little longer instead of going out for just the bad version.

Best: Have you ever seen the matte black super cars? They call it murdered out- you will be murdered out because you will be slaying everyone in the room in these pants. These are the Ferarri of the faux-leather world. You are going to pay for the look- I see these usually in the $200+ range and they are a dry clean kind of pant. You get the matte look, the slightest bit of sheen and the thicker fabric to keep everything smooth. It is not an exact dupe for leather- you'll never get the real thing but this gives you the same effect.

Links: Bad | Better | Best


No comments:

Post a Comment