Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Right is Relative, But You'll Know When Youre There.

Lane Bryant is doing it again. They are trying out another hashtag. This time it is #plusisequal and I definitely get the sentiment behind it. They are trying, man they are trying to get it right, they just cant get there. They are like the mom that's not really a mom, but a cool mom. They've added some cool clothes in, started buying the pricier items to get a rep at the PTO meetings and now they are using our slang. I also understand that any publicity is good publicity (I'm currently taking celebrity applications for my sex tape. So you know, just let me know on that, Drake) so the fact that I'm talking about if they got it right or not is ultimately a win for them.

I hated the #imnoangel campaign. Yes I am plus and no I don't really fit the standards for being a VS Angel but please do not devalue another woman in order to make me feel good. It worked, it was a very successful marketing campaign actually- because a lot of the plus demographic still needs that "us against them" solidarity. This campaign comes much closer for me- granted we dont know exactly what it is just yet- but based on the knowledge we have so far, its a great concept. A huge portion of women being under served in the fashion industry is a travesty and it does need to change.


Here is my problem with it, and its not a huge problem, but its keeping them from perfection: all those bodies up there look the same. They are trying to sell that plus is equal by using only one body type. Yeah, that plus is probably equal- a size 14 with a flat tummy, angular face and long legs is stunning by any standards- that's not the plus size that is under served. That isnt the plus size that isn't represented. And you know, I really hope that when the date hits that they drop that picture with all the similarly sized models and the whole campaign is about diversity. *fingers crossed*

LB has come a long way in the last couple years, but they havent seemed to catch on to what is working for a lot of the other retailers. Progress is slow and even though I'm not a patient woman, I'm pleased with how far we have come. ...just give me a short fat girl (or an average height apple shape etc etc) to look at occasionally!

(P.S. call me, Drake)

No comments:

Post a Comment